What is a toner?
First things first, let us address what is a toner? A toner is a usually a liquid skincare product used after cleansing the skin and before applying moisturizers or serums. The primary purpose of a toner is to help balance the skin's pH level, remove any remaining traces of dirt, oil, or makeup, and prepare the skin for the absorption of other skincare products.
In the past, toners were often alcohol-based and used to strip the skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness and irritation. However, toners of today have evolved to include a variety of formulations suitable for different skin types and concerns. Most of the toners today are void of drying alcohols that are harsh on the skin.
Toners have several uses and benefits for the skin. Here are some common uses of toners in skincare:
1. Balancing the skin's pH: After cleansing, the skin's pH can be disrupted, especially when using alkaline-based cleansers. Toners help to restore the skin's natural pH, which is slightly acidic, creating an environment where the skin can function optimally.
2. Removing residual impurities: Toners can effectively remove any remaining traces of dirt, oil, makeup, or cleanser residue that may not have been fully eliminated during the cleansing process.
3. Tightening and refining pores: Some toners contain astringent properties that can help to temporarily tighten and reduce the appearance of enlarged pores. Especially people with acne should look at using toners that help close pores to further avoid any foreign particles to irritate skin and worsen acne.
4. Hydration: Hydrating toners, often containing ingredients like hyaluronic acid or glycerine, provide an additional layer of moisture to the skin, especially beneficial for individuals with dry or dehydrated skin. A precious essential oil, Neroli Oil is a fragrant and anti-oxidating oil which moisturises skin intensely, boosts natural skin rejuvenation and helps fight skin inflammation. African Sesame Oil is a powerful antioxidant rich in fatty acids and vitamins A and B, which improves skin elasticity, slows down skin ageing and repairs damaged cells. Both these exotic ingredients from the Nile River region are used in the formulation of the Nile Deep Hydrate Toner which is ideal for women with dry to very dry skin types. You can shop the Nile Deep Hydrate Toner here - https://rju.co.in/products/nile-toner
5. Prepping the skin for better product absorption: By removing barriers like dead skin cells and excess oil, toners help other skincare products, such as serums and moisturizers, to penetrate the skin more effectively.
6. Soothing and calming: Certain toners contain ingredients like chamomile, aloe vera, or green tea extracts that can help soothe and calm irritated or sensitive skin. Even Indian ingredients like
7. Oil control: Toners with ingredients like witch hazel or salicylic acid can help control excess oil production in oily and acne-prone skin. The Ushir herb is a natural astringent that helps to tighten and cleanse pores, maintain skin pH, even out skin tone, and reduce skin inflammation while the Kumud flower provides instant skin hydration, with soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. Ushir and Kumud are the active ingredients used in our Gangotri Purifying Toner, which is customized for acne-prone and oily skin. You can know more about the toner here - https://rju.co.in/products/gangotri-toner
8. Refreshing and revitalizing: Applying toner can leave the skin feeling refreshed and revitalized, offering a pleasant sensory experience during the skincare routine. Some toners also help brighten the skin by mild exfoliating skin to reveal brighter and glowing skin. One such example is that of our Jeju Glow Boosting Toner that helps make skin soft while improving skin brightness and the texture of the skin. The toner’s active ingredients include Jeju Jori and Jeju White Blossom. The leaf of the Jeju Jori plant contains natural anti-oxidants that protect skin from free radicals and brighten skin, while the Jeju White Blossom is a powerful natural anti-oxidant that has well-accepted skin brightening and anti-inflammatory effects. To help awaken your skin and further brighten it, shop the Jeju Glow Boosting Toner here - https://rju.co.in/products/jeju-toner
Remember that not all toners are created equal, and the benefits you'll experience depend on the specific formulation of the product and your skin's individual needs. As with any skincare product, it's essential to choose a toner suitable for your skin type and concerns.
When using a toner, it is essential to apply it by gently patting it onto cleansed skin with a cotton pad or using clean hands. Avoid rubbing the toner into the skin, as this may cause unnecessary irritation. We decode the best way to use a toner - After using the Rju Cleanser on your face (recommended), soak a cotton pad with the Toner and gently pat all over your face and neck in upward circular motions to help reduce pore openings and promote skin elasticity, brighten skin and reduce pore openings and excessive sebum production.
Now moving onto the second leg of our topic’s discussion. What is a makeup remover?
Let’s understand this in 3 simple steps -
• Purpose: Makeup removers are specifically designed to remove makeup, including foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, mascara, lipstick, and other cosmetic products from the skin.
• Application: Makeup removers can come in various forms, such as liquid solutions, cleansing balms, oils, or wipes. They are applied directly to the skin and then gently wiped away with a cotton pad or tissue, effectively removing makeup.
• Benefits: Makeup removers are essential for thoroughly cleansing the skin, ensuring that makeup residues, dirt, and oil are effectively removed, preventing clogged pores and potential skin issues.
And moving on to the topic of the hour. Toners as Makeup Removers? Are they advisable?
The main difference between a toner and makeup remover is their main function. Toners cleanse the skin and restore the skin’s pH balance while makeup removers remove makeup from the skin. Most toners aren’t really designed to remove all of your makeup. A toner is meant to be used after cleansing, to tighten pores and freshen your skin. Most toners also contain alcohol, which evaporates on your skin and can be drying. However, our toners do not contain any drying alcohols and can be used on the skin, even as makeup removers! You read that correct.
Our team at Rju is constantly exposed to trying and testing new products and is always an enthusiastic part of product trials as part of the new product development processes. For almost a month, the team used the toner as a substitute to micellar water and other harsh makeup removers, that left the skin stinging. We used the toner post lunch to remove all the grime and dirt that settled on the skin since the time we left home for work and the results were shocking! The debris collected on the surface of the skin just in mere transit and commute was quite a bit. We also ensured to including double cleansing as part of our skincare routine. We would go home and gently remove the day’s dirt with a cotton pad and toner, after which we would wash our face with the Rju cleanser to negate any impurities on the skin. This practice ensured that all the dirt was removed leaving the facial skin feeling soft, smooth and squeaky clean. You could give it a try as it worked for us, but then again, each skin is different with different needs. Do what works best for your skin but don’t hesitate to give our little toner x makeup remover method a shot, it might be worth it – for your skin and your pockets. You can get the maximum for your buck with a toner that also doubles up as a makeup and impurity remover. Do give it a try and let us know your thoughts… until then, we sign off…